Egg and avocado sandwich with yogurt dressing. Chopped boiled eggs mixed with creamy avocado and yogurt – then stuffed into a wholemeal pitta pocket with a little cress and lemon juice. Who needs egg mayo, when this is going on!!?
Egg and avocado sandwich
Simple and yet sophisticated, the egg sandwich is perfect for any occasion. Be it delicate triangles on an afternoon tea tray or substantial bread rolls in a delicatessen, egg sandwiches always tick the box.
Is avocado and egg good for you?
The other major advantage of an egg butty is all that protein without the meat. Eggs contain all 9 essential amino acids making them a great option for gym-goers, vegetarians, and anyone who just loves eggs. Add in some extra healthy fats with some avocado and you have yourself a a very well nutritionally balanced lunch.
How do you make an egg and avocado sandwich?
To make an egg avocado sandwich you will need hard boiled eggs, avocado flesh, yogurt, mayo, dijon mustard, cress and lemon juice for the filling. Chop up the egg and cut the avocado then mix together all the ingredients then fill your choice of bread with the filling – in this recipe I use wholemeal pitta breads. The pitta breads are great for an egg sandwich on a working lunch as they hold together really well.
Egg and avocado sandwich
- 2 wholemeal pittas
- 2 eggs
- 1 large avocado 120g flesh
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp fat free greek style yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Sprinkle of cress
- Place the eggs, whole, into a pan of water and put on the stove. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 8 minutes. Next remove the eggs from the pan and place immediately into cold water in order to stop the cooking process. Once cooled remove from the water and peel of the shell. Dice the egg and transfer to a large bowl.
- Place the pittas in the microwave and heat on high for 15 seconds. Remove and carefully cut a slit down the side of each pitta and open. Place to one side.
- Cut the avocado in half by working around the stone and then twist to separate.
- Remove the stone by carefully chopping the knife into it and then twist out. Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the avocado skin and place the flesh into the bowl with the egg. Squeeze the lemon juice over the egg and avocado, then add the mayo, yogurt, mustard and seasoning and mix well. Scoop the mixture into the open pittas.
- Close the pittas, cut in half, sprinkle with cress and serve.