A Summery blend of clementine, ginger, carrots and mango. A lovely refreshing smoothie, perfect for those hot summer days
Summer smoothie time!!
So what if Calippo ice lollies were the best thing for breakfast? And what if they were super easy to make with lots of healthy ingredients? This Orange summer smoothie takes me back to hot sunny days when I was little; slurping on a bright orange calippo ice-lolly and gulping down the melted juices left at the bottom of the cardboard container. Even more so if I make it with ice instead of water. Unlike the ice-lolly, this summer smoothie contains a good helping of mango and carrots, plus a refreshing burst of ginger and mint. There’s not that many smoothies that I feel are absolutely spot on, but this one pretty much ticks all the boxes for me.
First off it’s a lovely bright orange colour and looks pretty appetising before you even know what’s in it – and once you know whats in it its even better.
I’ve made quite a few smoothies recently and sometimes the colour is just all wrong. Particularly if blueberries and spinach are involved; it can all go downhill very quickly and turn into a weird brown mush. But this one is bright orange all the way and impossible to be anything else. I also imagine that it would freeze pretty well if you did want to try it as ice-lollies.
Secondly, it contains veg as well as fruit so strikes a nice balance in terms of nutrients and isn’t overly sweet from too much fruit.
Thirdly, it includes mint and ginger, which really helps this drink to sing, and by that I mean it doesn’t taste bland; it’s very summery and very moreish.
This orange summer smoothie is definitely taking the place of my super green smoothie, which I fear I’ve made one too many of recently.
It’s a welcome change with its completely different colour and flavour.
I’ve also just got around to ordering some Kilner jar glasses, complete with handle. I got a set of 8 glasses off amazon for a very reasonable price and I’m absolutely loving them. Drinking a smoothie out of one of these with a stripy paper straw is pretty much all I need in life right now. Sad I know, but it really does make me feel happy. Happy summer smoothie-ness 🙂
Hope you give this one a whirl!
Orange Summer Smoothie
- 180 g Mango peeled and sliced
- 2 clementines peeled and broken into segments
- 2 cm piece of Ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- 100 g Carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ Banana 55g peeled and chopped
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- 350 ml water or ice if you prefer it chilled
- Place all the ingredients apart from the mint into a blender and blitz until smooth (around 3-5 minutes on high). Continue to blend whilst gradually adding mint leaves. Stop the processor and taste. Add more ginger or mint if required. If the texture is too thick add more ice or water. Top with grated carrot and mint if desired.