Chicken breast baked in herby tomato sauce with a pistachio crumb topping
Pistachio crumbed chicken
As promised, in my previous post, here is my Pistachio Crumbed Chicken recipe! If you’ve had chance to have a go at my Herby mushroom and tomato sauce recipe (which I highly recommend you do) you will know how easy it is to throw together and how tasty it can make any meal. So without further ado, make sure you have some of this sauce handy to pile on to some chicken, then sprinkle over chopped pistachio, breadcrumbs and basil. As easy as that and you’ll have this amazing chicken to serve up for your dinner.
A few of reasons why you should have pistachio crumbed chicken in your life:
- Its super easy to make, especially if you have the sauce and crumb mix pre-prepared. So even on those late nights home you can still get something great on the table.
- Its a low fat meat, packed full of protein. I love super tasty food but with a background in nutrition I like to keep one eye on the nutritional value of my meals…
- The main ingredients of the sauce are tomatoes and mushrooms, so not only is it low fat but it provides a boost of vitamins and minerals and meets at least 1 of your 5 a day (depending on how much you pile on – around 80g of a fruit or veg is classed as 1 portion).
- Pistachio nuts contain high levels of mono-unsaturated fats and some poly-unsaturated fats. Replacing saturated fats (fatty meats, pastries, biscuits, cream, cheese, butter) with un-saturated fats has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease by increasing levels of good cholesterol (HDL) and reducing levels of bad cholesterol (LDL).
- But the best reason is: how incredible it looks when you cut through the nutty topping and into the chicken. The crunchy green flecks of pistachio stand out bright against the pale breadcrumbs and red tomato sauce, and the chicken itself stays lovely and juicy under the cover of the toppings.
So, yes, basically I think this chicken is amazing 🙂
Pistachio Crumbed Chicken
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 100 g shelled pistachios chopped finely
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 4 tbsp of my herby mushroom and tomato sauce link above
- Pre heat a baking tray in the oven at 180 degrees C.
- Make my herby mushroom and tomato sauce and set to one side.
- In a large bowl combine the breadcrumbs, chopped pistachios and dried basil.
- Tear off a piece of foil large enough to package up 2 chicken breasts. Spread the rapeseed oil around the centre of the foil before placing on the chicken breasts and seasoning.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the sauce over the top of each chicken breast and spread evenly over the surface. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the sauce so each chicken breast is fully coated.
- Carefully fold up the sides of the foil to meet above the chicken and create a pocket of air. Fold together each side of the foil without touching the breadcrumbs. Place the foil package on the tray in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Open the foil for the last10 minutes to allow the topping to crisp up.
- Remove from the foil and cut each chicken breast in half) on the diagonal to make it pretty). This is mainly to check it is cooked through but also for a nice bit of presentation on the plate.