Celery, Apple and Blue Cheese Garden Soup
A hearty celery soup with sweet apples and blue cheese. Perfect for a cold, autumnal night.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Onions peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 300 g of sweet green eating apples core removed and roughly chopped
- 450 g celery stalks peeled to remove the stringy bits and chopped
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 5 g oregano leaves or half tsp dried oregano
- 250 g celery leaves washed and roughly chopped
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 100 g blue cheese plus extra for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large stock pan heat the olive oil, add the garlic and onions, then gently cook for 2-3 minutes.
Next add the apples, celery stalks, sage and oregano. Stir well before pouring in the stock.
Bring to a simmer and then add the celery leaves. Mix well to help the leave to wilt.
Pop on the lid and leave to simmer gently for 20 minutes, check occasionally.
Once the celery and apple have softened remove from the heat and ladle the soup into a blender. Blend on high for 5 minutes to ensure the soup in nice a smooth, then return to the pan. To create a perfectly smooth consistency; sieve the soup back into the pan (make sure you push as much through the sieve as possible, otherwise some flavour may be lost).
(if freezing your soup, stop at this point and ladle into seal-able containers - add blue cheese and seasoning when ready to defrost and reheat)
Put the blended, sieved soup back on a low heat and melt in the blue cheese. Taste and add more cheese if desired and season.
Serving: 338g | Calories: 341kcal | Fat: 13.6g