Homemade chicken noodle soup is a one pan soup recipe made with juicy chicken thighs, wholesome chopped veggies and a flavourful broth. This easy chicken noodle soup is easy to make from scratch and will quickly become a weeknight favourite!
👩🏻🍳 Why make this recipe
Chicken noodle soup is a great recipe for using up the week’s leftovers. Not only is this soup recipe full of vegetables its also perfect for using the more budget-friendly cuts of chicken, like chicken legs and thighs.
The recipe below uses three large chicken thighs with the skins on, and chopped up onion, carrot and celery. Cooked up in large pan, these ingredients combine to create a full flavoured broth, perfect for holding noodles.
To make chicken noodle soup you will need:
- Skin on chicken thighs
- Oil and dried rosemary
- Minced garlic
- Onion chopped
- Carrot chopped
- Celery chopped
- Stock cube in water or retail pre-made stock
- Bay leaves
- Dried medium egg noodles
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
Chicken: Any cut of chicken will work well in this recipe from leftover Sunday dinner chicken to freshly cut chicken breast. If you are using cooked leftover chicken, this can just be added at the end.
Vegetables: Onion, carrot and celery are the basic veg that add a great flavour to any one pot recipe. I recommend using at least these three vegetable. But you have any other leftover veg lying around then definitely chop it up and pop it in as well.
Stock: Choose a good quality stock as this will make the base of soup.
Noodles: Medium noodles are a good option for this recipe as they hold together well in the soup.
🔪 Step by step instructions
- Pan fry the chicken thighs in oil and rosemary until skin is browned, then remove the thighs from the pan and set to one side.
- In the same pan add the minced garlic, chopped onion, carrot and celery and fry until soft.
- Add the stock to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. When simmering return the thighs to the pan along with 2 bay leaves, pop on the lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the thighs from the pan. Add the dried noodles to the broth and simmer until noodles are cooked through. Separate the chicken meat from the skin and bones and then shred the meat. Skin and bones can be discarded.
- Once the noodles are cooked stir in the cooked shredded chicken and season to taste.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.
💭 Expert tips
- If using pre cooked leftover or rotisserie chicken; skip step 1 and instead of adding the thighs in step 3 just move to adding the noodles. Shred your cooked chicken and add at the end.
- The stock can reduce down quite quickly, so have extra hot water available to top up the soup as it cooks.
❓ Frequently asked questions
Some studies, like this study from the American College of CHEST Physicians, show that chicken noodle soup can help clear nasal passageways, which is helpful when you have a cold. This is thought to be due to the heat, the aroma, and the taste.
This recipe is also generally high in protein, vitamins and minerals, and so provides a well-balanced meal promoting general wellness.
Egg noodles and some brands of stock can contain gluten. For a gluten free recipe replace the noodles with rice noodles and use a gluten free stock.
Completely cool then store in air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 3 months. Noodles tend to not freeze and reheat well. So if you plan to freeze this recipe, leave out the noodles. Instead, add the noodles in when you have defrosted and are reheating the soup. Defrost thoroughly and reheat in a pan until piping hot.
🍵 Other soup recipes:
- Leek and potato soup
- Cauliflower soup
- Pea and ham soup
- Spicy chicken soup
- Hungarian mushroom soup
- Tuscan ribollita soup
- Roast Pumpkin Soup
- Clam chowder
If you've tried this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a star rating in the recipe card or comment section below. I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram or Sign up to my email list!
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 500 g Skin on chicken thighs or chicken breasts, leftover chicken or rotisserie
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 120 g chopped onion 1 medium onion
- 150 g chopped carrot 2 medium carrots
- 150 g chopped celery 4 sticks
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 180 g dried medium egg noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoon Fresh parsley
- Pan fry the chicken thighs in oil and rosemary until skin is browned, then remove the thighs from the pan and set to one side.500 g Skin on chicken thighs, 1 tablespoon oil, ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- In the same pan add the minced garlic, chopped onion, carrot and celery and fry until soft.3 cloves minced garlic, 120 g chopped onion, 150 g chopped carrot, 150 g chopped celery
- Add the stock to the vegetables and bring to a simmer. When simmering return the thighs to the pan along with 2 bay leaves, pop on the lid and cook for 20 minutes.500 ml chicken stock, 2 Bay leaves
- After 20 minutes, remove the thighs from the pan. Add the dried noodles to the broth and simmer until noodles are cooked through. Separate the chicken meat from the skin and bones and then shred the meat. Skin and bones can be discarded.180 g dried medium egg noodles
- Once the noodles are cooked stir in the cooked shredded chicken and season to taste.Salt and pepper to taste
- Top with fresh parsley and serve.4 tablespoon Fresh parsley
This post was first published in Jul 2019. Updated in Nov 2021 with new step by step instructions and expert tips.
I first shared Chicken Noodle Soup on the Sunday Supper Movement site, where I am a contributor.