Quick and easy pea and ham soup, made from scratch with your favourite choice of ham. A filling midweek meal or tasty starter at your next dinner party
The Great British Pea
So this week is Great British Pea week!! The week to rejoice with and be thankful for little green peas everywhere! To make sure that I don’t miss out on celebrating I’ve come up with not one, but two delicious pea recipes. The first is this creamy pea and ham soup. A proper soup that filled me right up and nearly had me licking my bowl!
. . . Ok – I licked the bowl 🙂
Pea and ham soup
For a quick and easy, family friendly meal – this recipe has got to be up there with some of the best. Its super quick, really simple, and everyone gets a good helping of greens. Plus its great for using up any leftover ham.
To get this meal on the table within 15 minutes I always opt for frozen peas – I always have peas in my freezer, they are fabulous in any kind of soup, amazing in risottos and obviously the perfect addition to fish and chips. Honestly – I don’t know where I’d be without the frozen pea.
However, we are right in the middle of pea season and pea pods are popping up all over the place. So if you do happen to have some fresh peas, then swap these in for the frozen peas and give yourself a little extra time for podding – (aka – get the other half/kids/best mate to help you out 🙂 )
Serve soup hot or cold
This recipe is minimal prep, minimal cooking and a fuss free dinner that is definitely a winner in our house. Even if we are revelling in an amazing heatwave (I do hope I’m not going to jinx it) its still nice to come home to a hot meal. Or – if you really fancy something cooler this soup is just as fabulous served cold, straight from the fridge 🙂
Make it veggie
My second pea recipe coming soon!!
Pea and Ham Soup
- 20 g butter
- 200 g onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (6g crushed and roughly chopped)
- 20 g plain flour
- 500 ml Stock
- 400 g frozen garden peas (or if you have fresh - 500g un-podded peas - additional time need to pod your peas!)
- Sea salt and pepper
- 110 g of your favourite choice of ham (chunky, thinly sliced, country, cured - whatever you fancy)
- 1 tbsp half fat creme fraiche
- Extra creme fraiche and bread to dunk
- In a large pan melt the butter on a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and fry until soft.
- Next add the flour and stir in well. Then gradually add the stock whilst continuing to stir.
- Add the frozen peas and season with salt and pepper, then simmer for around 2-3 minutes until cooked through. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the soup to a blender. Blitz until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan and place back on a medium heat. Add the ham and creme fraiche and mix in well. when piping hot, remove from the heat and serve with a swirl of creme fraiche and bread for dunking.
PIN FOR LATER
I am linking this recipe to #cookblogshare hosted by hijackedbytwins, recipesmadeeasy, everydayhealthyrecipes and Easypeasyfoodie. I am also linking to #brilliantblogposts by honestmum, #cookonceeattwice by searchingforspice, and #recipeoftheweek hosted by amummytoo.