Spicy fajita chicken salad served with rice.
Chicken fajita platter
Happy New Year!
My first creation of the year is this delicious (and healthy) fajita spiced chicken platter. Its loaded with chicken and rice, which are both smothered in the rich flavours of cumin and paprika - yum! The addition of the salad gives an extra crunch and the creamy avocado complements the spicy fajita sauce perfectly. It might just be the perfect healthy dish needed to kick-start 2016!
I’m always up for a platter of food, be it at home or dining out. I’d like to think this is because I enjoying sharing my dinner 🙂 …but it’s more likely because I enjoy the super large quantity that’s presented on arrival of said platter. And yes I’m first to start and more often than not; last to finish 🙂
So this dish takes all the main ingredients of chicken fajitas (minus the wrap) and lays out all its colourful ingredients on one mouth-watering platter; all you need to do is dive in with a fork.
So we already know how well a smoky fajita sauce combines oh so well with chunks of juicy chicken and crunchy bell pepper, particularly when topped with guacamole, cheese, salsa, sour cream...and anything else with an extra boost of calories and fat that I can get my hands on. However, as it is New Year and overindulgence was on the cards last months, this recipe tries to keep only the healthy elements without cutting back on taste. The serving of avocado on a bed of lettuce provides a lovely alternative to guacamole and the helping of rice not only soaks up any escaping drizzles of fajita sauce but also saves on the need for any tortilla wraps. Healthy but by no means boring!! Enjoy!
Fajita Spiced Chicken Platter
For the Fajita sauce:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
For the platter:
- 2 chicken breasts sliced into strips along the width of breast
- 1 red onion cut into eighths
- ½ red pepper cut into 3cm chunks
- ½ orange pepper cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 red chilli deseeded and sliced
- 250 g rice
- Iceburg lettuce
- Avocado stone removed and sliced
- Lime wedges to serve
- First mix the sauce in a bowl by combining the lime juice, oil and spices. Season the sliced chicken then add to the sauce and mix well to ensure chicken is fully coated.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok. Once hot, pour in the chicken and bring sauce to a simmer and cook chicken for 5 minutes.
- Next add the onion, chilli and peppers to the pan. Mix well to coat vegetables with the sauce then cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the instructions and prepare the salad. If serving up on a platter; simply arrange a few lettuce leaves on the top third of the board and cover with slices of avocado. Finish off with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain and spoon out along the bottom third of the board. Check the chicken and veg are thoroughly cooked then spoon out down the middle section of the board. Cut a couple of limes into wedges and dot around the edges of the board before presenting in the middle of the table.