Delicious honey glazed carrots and parsnips with crushed garlic cloves and fresh thyme. This dish of little carrots and parsnips will be a real crowd-pleaser on your Christmas table this year.
Christmas dinner sides
Its Christmas Eve!! And theres just enough time for me to pop up one more recipe before I start on my own Christmas prep for tomorrow. Getting organised with all the side dishes is a great way to be able to concentrate on the star of the show on the actual day. Not only are these honey glazed carrots and parsnips super tasty and really pretty but they also really easy to make and can be prepared ahead of the big day.
Honey glazed carrots and parsnips
So along with my gorgonzola sprouts and a delicious Tia Maria Tiramisu dessert I’m also going to be preparing some honey glazed carrots and parnsips a day in advance. I love little baby carrots with a little tuft of green left on the end, however, standard carrots sliced into skinny batons will work just as well for this recipe.
Preparing root vegetables in advance
And this recipe really couldn’t be any simpler – and it really will take away any hassle on the day and save on extra pots and pans to wash. The baby carrots need no special prep, they can go straight on tray along with a few sprigs of thyme and a couple of crushed garlic cloves. I used standard parsnips to go along with my carrots, which I roughly chopped into similar shapes and sizes as the baby carrots.
Once all the veggies are lined up – drizzle over a table spoon of honey, a table spoon of oil, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and then add a few dots of proper butter. Pop the whole lot into the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Easy!! Once cooked these can be transferred to a sealable container and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
On the big day place your honey glazed carrots and parsnips back on a baking tray and reheat in the oven for 5 minutes – done and dusted 🙂 For more great Christmas Day prep ideas, check out my homemade Cranberry sauce and sticky king prawns starter. And once Christmas is all over with don’t forget to make good use of that leftover turkey with a Turkey sunshine risotto or Mulligatawny soup.
Christmas honey roast root vegetables with Garlic and Thyme
- 150 g baby carrots
- 200 g parsnips
- 3 whole crushed garlic cloves
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Tbsp of runny honey
- 10 g butter
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- The baby carrots need no prep - place these straight onto a large baking tray. If you are using standard carrots then peel, remove the ends and chop into skinny batons. Place onto the tray.
- To prepare the parsnips wash them thoroughly then remove the ends and chop into a similar size and shape as the carrots. Spread the parsnips evenly amongst the carrots.
- Next peel 3 garlic cloves and gently crush each one by placing the flat side off the knife over the top of the clove and gently pushing on top with the palm of your hand. Add the cloves to the tray along with the sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Drizzle the whole lot with olive oil and honey then roughly chop the butter into small cubes and dot around the tray. Finish with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place the tray in the centre of the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and serve. If you are preparing in advance then allow the veggies to cool before transferring to a sealable container, then refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To reheat place the vegetables back onto a tray and bake in a 180 degree oven for 5 minutes.
PIN FOR LATER
I am linking this recipe to #cookblogshare hosted by hijackedbytwins, recipesmadeeasy, everydayhealthyrecipes and Easypeasyfoodie. I am also linking to #brilliantblogposts by honestmum, #recipeoftheweek hosted by amummytoo, and #CookOnceEatTwice hosted by seachingforspice,